Macswain

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Free Speech for Justice Hecht

During the comedy that was the Harriet Miers nomination, Texas Supreme Court Justice Nathan Hecht gave about 120 interviews supporting the Miers nomination.

The New York Times has the story on the hearing to determine whether Justice Hecht's pro-Miers statements violated the Code of Judicial Conduct.

Now I, of course, could sit back and laugh my ass off at this jam Hecht has found himself in. But screw that! I really like freedom of speech and while I disagree with his support for Miers substantively, it is hard for me to think of a more important public issue on which we should all hear from people - pro or con - who knew her and were familiar with her judicial acumen. It is purely political speech and I cannot think of any countervailing interest as to why Justice Hecht's free speech rights should be suspended on such an important issue.

Throw this nonsense out.

1 Comments:

  • Hecht should get a medal, not discipline. Harriet, as daffy as she may be, would have been far preferable to Scalito.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home