Macswain

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Geek Question: How Can Playstation 3 Come with Blu Ray?

I'm big on high tech. HD TV and TIVO are fantastic. Indeed, I would say ABC has HD down the best --- the BCS series was phenomenol in High Def and whatever technology ABC is using looked better than the NFL HD games that were broadcast by Fox and CBS this season.

The next big thing is High Def DVDs. The New York Times has an article up on the continuing saga of the two competing technologies - HD DVD and Blu-ray DVD.

Toshiba grabs the headline by announcing a HD DVD player for under $500. But what caught my eye was the part of the story noting that Blu-ray players will be initially priced between $1,000-1,800. Yet, Blu-ray's biggest selling point is that it will be included in Sony's Playstation 3 set to be released this Spring.

Given that the Playstation 3 must compete with the $400 Xbox 360, how can it include a piece of technology that by itself costs $1,000 at a minimum and yet be comparably priced to the 360?

3 Comments:

  • Macswain:

    If you're looking for a topic on which people have even less interest than your insipid football picks, you've found it with your bewildering interest in hi tech toys.

    YAWN................

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

  • Piss off Web.

    I'll bite. I'm a videogame fanatic myself, and after watching the video game industry, I can take a stab or two on this one.

    First off, console sales are not the big. Plus, especially on initial launch they are marked up so high it's kinda ridiculous, but if you were to do some serious research, the big money to be had in developing a system is not in the system itself, but in the developing of licensees and in game sales.

    So, you work out a deal with Blu-Ray to get them to drop their prices to Sony a little bit, and then you take it in the shorts on the initial release of the PS3 in the hopes that you'll make it up in the software sales.

    What bothers me is that I'm no fan of the X-box, nor it's progeny. But while Sega has proven that being the first out on the market is not necessarily the key to winning the war in a video game generation, neither is waiting until you got all the bells and whistles.

    Aw, we can go into this for hours and hours (starting our history with the 8 bits and running straight through to the next gens) but I'll spare ya.

    I guess we should get back to politics huh?

    By Blogger Kyle E. Moore, at 9:33 PM  

  • Mr. M,

    Thanks for the intelligent comment.

    I understand selling the consoles at a loss, but the loss here would be so extreme I still don't see how it maths out.

    I did some surfing and saw that Microsoft will be putting out an HD DVD "add on" for the 360.

    Two predictions --- I don't think Sony will meet its May 2006 release date for PS3 so long as an internal Blu-ray is involved. I'm betting that there will be two versions of PS3 - a $300-400 version w/o Blu-ray and a much more expensive version with Blu-ray.

    One final note - Xbox is the best. My ATF gaming experience was Return to Castle Wolfenstein on Xbox Live. Halo & Halo 2 (especially on Live) are also awesome gaming experiences.

    'Nuff nerd talk ... back to politics.

    By Blogger Macswain, at 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home