Macswain

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Grammy Night

Even though my favorite musicians are typically not nominated, I do try and catch the Grammys. I tend to root for the awkward moments but usually there will also be a couple of good performances.

Though not nominated for an award, I would like to highlight one of my favorite songs of the last year ... "Unplayed Piano" by Damian Rice & Lisa Hannigan. It's a beautiful song with a poignant message concerning the detention of Suu Kyi, the nonviolent leader of Myanmar's democratization movement.

Combining politics and art is tricky. If the music can't stand on its own or the lyrics are too preachy, the message is likely to be lost and the song easily dismissed. Rice & Hannigan's song is beautiful even without any knowledge of the subject matter. The lyrics are sufficiently subtle to be subject to many interpretations a listener mat draw. Once the subject matter is known, the images the lyrics create bring an emotive quality to the the problem of despotism that a more straightforward condemnation cannot bring.

Here are the lyrics:



Come and see me
Sing me to sleep
Come and free me
Hold me if i need to weep
Maybe it's not the season
Maybe it's not the year
Maybe there's no good reason
Why i'm locked up inside
Just cause they wanna hide me
The moon goes bright
The darker they make my night

Unplayed pianos
Are often by a window
In a room where nobody loved goes
She sits alone with her silent song
Somebody bring her home

Unplayed piano
Still holds a tune
Lock on the lid
In a stale, stale room
Maybe it's not that easy
Or maybe it's not that hard
Maybe they could release me
Let the people decide
I've got nothing to hide
I've done nothing wrong
So why have i been here so long?

Unplayed pianos
Are often by a window
In a room where nobody loved goes
She sits alone with her silent song
Somebody bring her home

Unplayed pianos
Are often by a window
In a room where nobody loved goes
She sits alone with her silent song
Somebody bring her home

Unplayed piano
Still holds a tune
Years pass by
In the changing of the moon

5 Comments:

  • get back to polictics macswain. people dont' read your blog for lyric reviews either.

    how bout some racy pictures?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM  

  • Ehh to bored with blog,

    So Mcswain, what was for best grammy performance this year? Jay Z and Maroon 5 with Paul wasn't too bad, nor was Helter Skelter. I was seriously disappointed with Sly and Kanye West and Jamie Fox. Legend was pretty impressive, kinda reminds me of a young George Benson on piano. And by the way , "Way to go Allison Krause" for best country!? = not bad for a bluegrass girl.

    Bonus question for you Macswain, who is Jimmy Martin and what was his greatest hit? My hubby says you will not know. Prove me wrong. [PS no fricking googling, okay?] Ohhh, Herbie is on with Aguillar [not a huge fan but she does have a voice] and Herbie, you have to love that man. Gotta go!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 PM  

  • Wilson Pickett!!LINK WRAY [one of my favorite neo-danes] RICHARD! so many others we will miss. And even if she was not a musician - Coretta, god knows we need ya girl...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 PM  

  • And finally, Macswain you better take the time to read this....
    Please take the time to go watch this very political and disturbing/depressing yet too realistic video just released by Robert Cray. Hope my link works. If not do a cut and paste. It is worth it and it is a video from his new disc, Twenty.

    http://www.afsc.org/iraq/cray-video.htm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 PM  

  • dansk47,

    Thanks for the comments.

    I'm going to disappoint you ... I don't know Jimmy Martin. Hopefully I redeem myself through the fact that I possess some Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown (another great we lost this year) and on wax even.

    My quick take ... Best. Grammy. Show. Ever.

    I'll have more tomorrow ... er ... later today.

    By Blogger Macswain, at 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home